Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:13:52 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      PS Rack Boot revisited

Hi Everyone. Happy New Year to all, and your families. Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday.

Well, on January 2, I took in the Polar Bear ('90 Syncro) to get its left front PS rack boot changed. I wrote about this a couple weeks ago when I noticed that this boot had a hole in it about the size of a quarter.

I checked out the boot as soon as the van was on the hoist to see if a wheel alignment that the van had last spring could have caused the boot to twist and tear.

As it turns out, this boot can twist with little effort on the tie rod. The boot sits in a groove on the tie rod, and is allowed to rotate when the tie rod is turned. The boot WAS properly aligned. With the hole in the boot, it made the boot appear to be twisted as it didn't "fold" properly. The rubber wasn't brittle or cracked anywhere else. In fact, the rubber was quite supple and flexible. So, I guess that the tear was caused by a sharp object, stone or something that got flung up by the wheel or something. Not quite sure if that is possible as the tie rods are quite high up. I guess I'll never know how it got torn, but it's fixed now.

The mechanic worked on the van for 1.5 hours. He popped out the tie rod end at the wheel to do the job. I was charged for 1.2 hours labour, plus materials. Total bill... $155.21 CDN parts and labour.

Harry. --------------------------------------------------------- Harry Yates, Langley, BC, Canada '90 Syncro Westfalia www: http://www.bcit.bc.ca/~hyates '87 Golf Diesel email: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '91 Miata (Millie)