Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:26:56 -0800
From:   Jeff DeLeeuw <jdeleeuw@oz.net>
Subject:   Re: EV Piston Slap Questions

At 01:08 AM 1/25/97 -0600, you wrote: >I know that this has been covered before but I need some questions >answered. Hopefully some of the been there, done that's can help me. >I made an appointment to take my 93 EV to the dealer next week for a >possible piston slap problem. Symptom is the van sounds like a diesel for >about ten minutes after starting. My questions are:

Piston slap DOES exist. You've described the symptoms perfectly. My dealer replaced my pistons because of it. I'm not the only one. The VW regional service rep had the same problem with his VW, or so I was told.

>Can someone confirm that the head needs to be pulled to confirm or deny >that piston slap exists? What are the other symptoms of piston slap? Is >bad compression one of them? What about the head and pistons indicates >that piston slap is occurring? What is the typical compression for an EV?

Compression has nothing to do with piston slap. The heads do not need to be pulled to confirm it exists. My dealer confirmed it with a stethoscope.

>Finally the dealer told me that the 5 year/50K powertrain warranty only >applies to the original owner. I bought mine used from a dealer so I may >have to hope that the gods look kindly upon me. I want to have all of my >ducks lined up before I meet with the dealer.

This is bull****. I am not the original owner of my EV and my dealer (Carter VW in Seattle) did the entire job under the powertrain warranty. The was billed at roughly $2,000 and I paid not one red cent. Your dealer sounds like a loser. Sadly, most VW dealers in the Seattle area are losers also. At least Carter's (in my experience) does a good job.

Hope this helps.