Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jan 1997 11:23:18 -0500
From:         "R. Hotchkiss" <hotch@netaxs.com>
Subject:      Paint and Bumper progress (long)

Hey guys,

As many of you know, over X-Mas I spun out in Indiana and Hit the guard rail. When I got back to Philly I started the repair process.

First I went shopping for bumpers and was able to get them used. I bought them at night and in the dark (stupid) and realized when I got home that the rear bumper I bought would now be designated as a spare (more dings than I thought on inspection), the end caps where in worse shape than I thought and the rubber strip was functional but had non VW clips to secure it that needed exposed screws to hold it on.

So I bought a new rear bumper and new end caps from another source. The new bumper is not as heavy as the original but looks great. I decided to add strength to it by cutting my old bumper so that it fit inside of the new one (I pity the fool that rear ends me now). The caps seem fine but the source accidently sent me 4 of the same part number (it's getting straigtened out as I write this).

I went to VW to get the rubber strip, the parts guy sold it to me at the warranty rate (saved me $25) and threw in the clips. I noticed the metal strip on the back did not have the hole punched in it for the clips and was told to drill them out, impossible. Now I know why I got it at a discount. Needless to say I've had to improvise again and glue the strip on.

Now the paint, I went to the local body shop and had them straighten out the metal and fix a couple of other PO dings and paint it. For what I paid they did a good job. I got hit the night I brought it home from the body shop (previous posting). Went back to the shop yesterday to get some touch up paint. They were really nice, first they offered to buff it out for free, but upon inspection saw the paint got ripped, so they offered to repaint it for $75 . I did not take them up on that (I put the lock on my pocket book) but did again for some touch up paint. They GAVE me more than a pint of paint along with the other chemicals needed. Now all I gotta do is dig up my paint guns.

I know this is long, but I just need to say that after all of this time and money spent I came to the realization in the middle of the night, that it's a VW and I should treat it like all of the VWs I've owned previously - TLC and DIY. Rubberbands and chewing gum are what make VWs VWs.

Thanks for the rant

Hotch 86 GL (give me a week, it will be fixed) Philly