Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:14:40 -0600
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      Engine erratic power.

Hello people, I have been following the thread about the engine stalling problem. As I understand the problem, moving the gas peddle has no effect on the Engine. The problem either goes away or a restart is in order. The problem I have had apprears only at part throttle, at 10" of vacumm, in wet weather, after an hour or more of operation. The engine bucks or jumps as if it is being turned on and off rapidly. If the throttle is depressed, decreasing vacumm ( loading the engine more) the problem stops, or lifting the throttle, increasing the vacumm ( unloading the engine) again the problem stops. If the vacumm is returned to 10" the bucking returns. This will happen for about 5 to 20 minutes, and then vanish. I have never had this problem on my 25 mile trip to work. With it being dependent of wet weather I would think it was a bad connection or a broken wire. I have checked the wires and have found no real problems. A few slightly corroded connections, but after cleaning, the problem reoccured. I don't know if this is the same problem as the previous posts have spoken of, with diffrent symptoms or a totaly diffrent problem. I think as soon as it warms up, I will recheck all wires and connectors. I will also replace the tempurature sensor, just as part of a test. As for profiting of the list, I don't feel used if a person makes a small profit off services or parts I have recieved. I think small statements about parts or services offered is'nt out of line with the spirit of the list. I would find it offensive if people made long winded and repetitive advertisements on th list. False representation should not be allowed anywhere. That last paragraph was my $.02 worth. I find far more to like about the list and its people than to dislike. As in life you have to take the good with the bad while trying to maximize the good. Colin A Moran

K&M Ranch '86 Syncro GL "The Bronze Brick"