Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 97 10:23:32 -0800
From:         vince_pappalardo@om.cv.hp.com
Subject:      Re: Brake Cylinder Rebuilding??

Item Subject: Brake Cylinder Rebuilding?? Jim,

I have done many rebuilds and have always honed the cylinders at least five or ten strokes to break any surface imperfections and slightly rough up the surface to get the new seals to seat. I have not ever "screwed it up with a hone" and I have had my share of the hones slipping out and stones coming off. The purpose of the honing is mostly to remove surface imperfections that will cause premature failure of the new seals--it does not come close to resembling a boring process. If you elect not to hone, I would highly recommend running your finger over the entire surface of the bore to verify that there are no imperfections. As for what type of hone to use. I have used two and three blade hones. Mostly this is dictated by the size of the cylinder you are doing and the size of the hone that will fit inside it. The three stone type I feel are more stable but I don't have much a problem with the two blade ones either. Good technique is more important than the hone itself. Strive for keeping the hone shaft concentric to the bore and use a in out motion that is continuos that will produce a 45 degree angle hone mark pattern. I also think you should wait on doing the rebuild on these until you need them. If you do them now you will need to store them with brake fluid in them to protect the surfaces from rusting. This is risky because, unless you seal all the open ports well, the brake fluid will absorb water from the air and cause the very pitting they don't have now. Moreover, the seals will start to relax and break down while not in use therefore reducing there life once installed. I would simple clean and dry them. Then coat the bores with a heavy grease or oil that will stick to the walls to prevent rusting.

Well, that's about all I can add to this discussion.

Vince, '85 Westy, GL '90. . .some other foreign car that now seems pretty refined (but not as utilitarian) compared to the Westy.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Brake Cylinder Rebuilding?? Author: Non-HP-vanagon (vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu) at HP-Corvallis,shargw1 Date: 1/20/97 9:08 AM

Hi all, I've recently replaced (with new) both the rear wheel cylinders on our 88 Vanagon - one was leaking. Also, recently I had the clutch slave cylinder replaced on my 87 Syncro.

I'd like to rebuild the old cylinders and keep them as spares. The bore of all of the cylinders is very smooth and shows no signs of pitting. It seems like the leaks were like caused by old and stiff rubber seals. The seals in the rebuild kits are much more flexible and the outer sealing "skirt" is a bit larger in diameter than the old ones. I theorize that the seals, after being held inside the cylinders for 9-10 years, have assumed the diameter of the cylinders and no longer exert much force on the walls on the cylinder wall.

My question is about honing the cylinders. Since they are smooth inside, does this realy need to be done? I'm a bit worried about taking a cylinder with a nice smooth bore and screwing it up with a hone. Also, any suggestions on the brand or type of hone required?

Thanks, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg