Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 1997 20:51:22 -0800
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: Really COLD starts

Gary E Thaxter wrote: > > Hi all. > > I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can do some work on my van > (install used engine). It's been too cold to start working outside ( -41 > before wind chill (yes minus 41 degrees)). I live in Northern Ontario > Canada. 40 below is 40 below celcius, farenheit, same thing. It was only > a couple of days, but we usually get about a week of that stuff near the > end of January. > > The first year I had my van (85 transporter), I was coming home from work > at about 5 am, 40 below and my oil light came on. I pulled over to find my > oil all up my back door and in a puddle underneath. Scared the heck out of > me but it ended up it was only the oil filter gasket had blown out. Quick > change that afternoon and all was well. I still had to walk home though (3 > miles). > > Anyone know what weight of oil is recommended when hell freezes over? > > There was some talk of block heaters on the list a while back. I couldn't > live without one. My 74 transporter had one as well. Every bug I ever > bought had one too. They are actually "oil heaters" on the air cooled > ones, and the water cooled one is the same only bigger. It basically is an > element in an aluminum block that bolts to the bottom of your motor and > keeps things toasty. > > When I first got my water cooled it didn't have one (I bought the van in > Southern Ontario). A cold snap set in and I was stranded. To get to the > dealer to buy a block heater (an hour away) I had to use an old trick my > grandfather used to use when he worked in the bush. When the skidders and > dozers wouldn't start, they would light a fire underneath. Not so > dramatic, I filled an enamel pan with hot coals from the wood stove and > propped it up on boards until it was close enough to just warm my bottom > (my engine bottom ;~) ). After three hours and a bunch of refills, old > unfaithful sputtered to life. > > I thought that this is maybe what caused my filter gasket to go, but almost > on the exact same day, one year later, and almost in the exact spot. . . > (play twilight zone music now) it happened again. It was later in the day > and I got a ride that time. I was even using lighter oil. How light can I > go at 40 below? > > The next year the van was parked for January, and this year I'm replacing > the engine, so I don't have to worry, but we still have a couple of months > of winter left. If anyone has cold weather experience with their vans or > any recommendations, let haul, I'ld like to hear from you. > > And does Propex make an industrial size heater? Ha, kidding. My BA6 will > melt plastic (left a cassette by the floor vent). > > Thanks > > Gary Thaxter > 85 transporter > 74 transporter (panel) > still looking at an 86 syncro > > Does really cold weather affect VC operation in a Syncro? > Any other list members live in the North?

According to Bentley pg 17.8 -30C to -10C use 5W20 or 5W30 -20C to +15C use 10W30 -15C to +30C use 15W40 or 15W50 -10C to +30C use 20W40 or 20W50

I use 15W50 Mobil 1 year round. It started two days ago at -33C with a warm booster battery and ran smoothly. Took 10 km to get temp needle to the post and another 10km to get temp normal 1/2 way mark (over warning light).

Larry '86 Syncro Westy