Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:58:23 -0800 (PST)
From:         Beth Young <young@sherlock.sims.berkeley.edu>
Subject:      Re: air-flow meter?

> My question is: What is the airflow meter and what does it do? My 84 > Vanagon has been sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear, has problems holding an idle > (at least until well warmed up), and is blowing all sorts of blue smoke. > It pooped out before I could get it to my VW mechanic so it's with someone > who doesnt really know VW's. He thinks it's the airflow meter > (yikes...big bucks!). My regular mechanic thinks it might be the idle > control box. > Also, could the cold weather have an exacerbating effect??

The airflow meter measures the amount of air the engine is demanding and sends that information (in the form of a voltage) to the computer, which adjusts the length of time fuel is injected. If the airflow meter is damaged or worn out it can obviously affect the car's performance. Although the airflow meter is not supposed to be servicable, it is, to a certain extent.

(Blue smoke suggests oil burning. Black smoke suggests too rich a mixture. Is the smoke blue or black?)