Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:41:20 +0000
From:         Brian Verbeek <verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com> (by way of Brian Verbeek <verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com>)
Subject:      Re: 1.6-l. '79-'82 type 2 aircooled pancake engine in Bug?

Hanno Spoelstra wrote:

>I am trying to find out if the 1.6-l. '79-'82 type 2 aircooled pancake >engine can be fitted in my '71 Bug.

And:

>electronic ignition

This can be retro-fitted to any T1 engine, Bosch also makes nice socalled TZH electronic igntion Kits.

>Who can help me with engine codes (CT ?), useful tips, etc.?

The 1600 CT Transporter engine was used from 4-'79 to 12-'82, 85.5x69mm, 1584cc, dono its power output by heart, but around the 50 Din HP the stock 1600 upright engine provided.

Below a piece of text i copied from a message i wrote to a fellow listie a while back, also, i've written about this motor before and i think you find that in the Vanagon@Lenti archives.

Brian.

******Begin included message******

Yes it is, but there are some problems too. A German enginebuilder said the cases were not as good as the regular T1/T3 cases, he thought that was proved by the fact that VW discontinued it after only a few years of production. I, personally, think that that could be due to other reasons as well, it might not be a popular choice for Transporter/ Vanagon buyers, and, not to forget, VW came with it in '79, there was a little oil crisis then if i'm right, it didn't last very long and people were looking for more performance again. I can imagine that a 1600 Transporter/Vanagon would be rather underpowered.

I have one of these cases, it's damaged beyond repair. The #1 main has spun in the case. The filterboss is cast on at the rear OP relief area, at the rearmost of the left case half. It points to 8 o clock. It has the same bore and stroke as the upright engines, the crank, rods, P&Cs, valve covers, oilpump, fuel pump & distributor location are identical. It has a hydraulic cam and lifters which slide in after the case is bolted together. I didn't get the pushrod tubes with it but i think they are the same as Wasserboxer tubes,they are thicker on the case end. The fanshroud looks very much like the T4 shroud, only it's made out of stamped steel, i didn't get the cylinder covers. The cooler is mounted the same way as in T3s, but then on top of a 2.5" thick spacer, but, and this is one of the main problems, it's mountingholes are -behind- the usual location, if you look at the top of a T1 case, between the bellhousing and the distributor, you see it's divided by the case webbing (on which the upright fanshroud sits) into three almost equally sized partitions, now, we are used to having the oilcooler holes in the middle part, but this one has them moved one part to the rear, towards the distributor. This could be solved by using a DH cooler and adaptor in a non DH fanshroud and cutting the shroud were it has to fit over the cooler adaptor. Adjustments to the cooler location can easily be made by flattening the adaptor or by using pieces of the spacer which comes with the Vanagon 1600. Under the cylinders there are T3 cool tins (in fact, they can still be called T3 cool tins) but they are clamped onto 8mm headstuds, while the older T3 ones used to mount on 10mm studs so the mounting tabs are different. (their PN starts with either 070 or 171) The other main problem is that the case has four cast on mounting ears for the rearmounted fanshroud, these have to be removed by either machining and a little remodelling or with a saw and lot of remodelling, that can be done, but there is not enough meat to drill and tap for the two M6 bolts that are supposed to hold the pulleytin. I also didn't get the flywheel, it removed itself or was removed from the crank in a horrifying way, the only thing left on the engine was the treaded part of the glandnut sticking out of the crank...

I read the above over and forgot to mention that the oilcooler holes in the case aren't cut for regular cooler seals and i figured that you -could- use a DH shroud if you'd use a DH adaptor along with the 2.5" spacer, the spacer would go right through the fanshroud, but there's another problem with the cooler adaptor too, you have to use dual carbs as the cooler adaptor sits in the way of the stock manifold.

******End included message******