Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jan 97 09:17:37
From:         mdstockr <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com>
Subject:      Re: Blizzaks on the EV

Tracey:

Tires generate heat by flexing while rolling down the road.

In general, maximum heat in generated inside the tire at two locations: - At the edges of the tread - In the tire's lower sidewall, just above where the tire mounts to the rim

Ambient temperature and road conditions tend to determine the amount of heat generated in the tread.

Load and tire inflation pressure tend to determine the amount of heat generated in the tire's lower sidewall. This is our area of concern.

Take a look at the sides of your tires. At the bottom of the tire, where the tire contacts the road, the sides bulge out. You can imagine how many times your tire's sidewalls flex per minute when running at 65 mph because of this bulging.

A reinforced tire has stiffer sidewalls, and will flex less for a give load. Also, reinforced tires can be inflated at higher pressures, which also results in less sidewall flexing.

My recommendation to run Blizzaks at maximum inflation pressure, as labeled, is to simply to reduce sidewall flexing and thereby reduce heat build-up.

I hope that I was not too long-winded on this. I worked as a tire engineer for 10 years and sold tire testing equipment to all of the major tire companies for another 10. I tend to get carried away on this subject.

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Michael Stocker <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com> North Canton, Ohio, USA Date: 1/22/97 Time: 9:17:37 AM ___________________________________________