Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         22 Jan 97 07:31:48 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Shifting, No Clutch

Scott - I have driven MANY miles with no clutch, due to various failures in both the Vanagon, priorbusses, and Sqbk. Starting in second is hard on the starter system, but it works even on a slight uphill after having to stop for a stalled lumber truck. The toughest part is timing to get to the stop lights when they are green. The worst thing one can do is stopping and restarting. The associated wild waving and gesturing when running stop signs is obligitory.

Shifting between 2, 3 & 4 is easy enough, just listen to your engine and feel your tranny. Supply a slight push on the shifter, and at the right ground speed and engine speed the transmission will accept the slight push and you'll go into gear. There are gizmos in the transmission that'll keep you from damaging the trans. If you push hard and hear crash noises, damage is/has occurred.

WARNING, these tactics are for short term, emergency use only. Serious damage WILL occur with prolonged use. Once you get into any gear try to stay IN that gear as long as possible.

Every now and then in a flashback or something, I'll forget to use the clutch, and shift anyway. But having done this without a clutch so much, the shift just goes easily.

My Sqbk trans was feeling strange, so took it in. Mechanic couldn't get into ANY gear. I had been driving it so much that I knew all the shift points so well that I had no problems, but nobody else could. How's that for a theft deterrent!

- Jeff '80 Westi

Now travelling with a trans STUCK in second gear is another story.