Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jan 1997 20:37:58 -0500
From:         Jeff Diebolt <jdiebolt@up.net>
Subject:      Re: Diesel verse gas?

Diesels are a different animal all to themselves. There is some truth to the better atomization of the fuel, which does lean itself towards better burning. But that's where it stops. Diesels have a pollution all their own and it is very difficult to eliminate it. The prime area of concern is the soot, the black smoke you see when a diesel is under hard acceleration. I'm sure there is a chemical composition of this soot but I don't know what it is. Vw's new diesels use a direct injection system, as opposed to the older swirl chamber design. This allows a more complete combustion. But also greatly increases the noise. Diesel trucks have used direct injection for years. Although there are no tune ups per se. You have to be careful with your fuel, especially in the colder climates or you won't go anywhere. HTH At 06:41 PM 1/21/97 -0600, you wrote: >Does anyone know where I can find information on the exhaust gas components >of diesel engines verse gas engines? I have a project bus that I am thinking >of finding a TDI to put in because of the mileage, the seemingly more >resilient design and no iginition system to get all fouled up or cut out, or >the like. > From what I understand of diesel engines, they supposely burn more >cleanly than gas as long as the injectors are in proper functioning order. >Am I way off the mark here? Is proper functioning order something you maintain >for oh, about 100 miles of running? And because of the way the injectors are >supposed to work, you get a better dispersion of fuel which ends up giving >one a cleaner burn. Is this incorrect as well? > > Basicly, I would like an engine that spews the least amount of noxious >gases out the tailpipe as possible. Is diesel a decent candidate or am I way >off the mark? Having search the EPA web pages and the general web, I couldn't >find any discussion of diesel engine emission for either heavy trucks or >cars. Any info is greatly appreciated... > >dave > >

Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt mailto:jdiebolt@up.net