Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         23 Jan 97 03:44:01 EST
From:         "Turner,Ronald L." <102660.66@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Bus Plus Fuss

>While on the subject .... > >What is the difference between a 1986 Vanagon Camper and a Vanagon Camper >Wolfsberg >Edition??? > >I'm looking to buy a Wolfsberg Edition and I am not clear about how it differs from >a >standard Camper.

Ohhh Yeah it's me again.. :<0

Jim Davis is right, technically. I have seen a owners manual for these models and it says "Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Edition" ( It did not say "GL") Let me explain my reasoning behind the "WWW"name.

It is a Wolfsburg...and it is a Westy (it's got the pop top)....and since it doesn't have the sink/stove/all the cabinets...it is more like a "weekender" version of the Westy.

hence the nickname - Wolfsburg Westy Weekender.... phew!

(ya know what they say..."old threads never die - they just get beaten to death")

Anyway, to answer your question, Michael -

This is the non-GL version of the Westfalia. I guess, since you were getting less camping stuff, VW tried to make up for it by calling it the "Wolfsburg Edition". This model has the pop top, and there is a full width sofabed in the rear, because there aren't any cabinets along the left wall but one, which is in the left rear behind the seat. These models all came with that lousy tan corduroy upholstry. As I said before, the stuff doesn't last too long - worse than any other Vanagon interior fabric. Everyone I've seen has all the seats ripped. Since this model was a non-GL, it had no tachometer or digital clock. There is no propane or stove. There is no sink. there is a cabinet in the rear overhead, but if it has A/C that's where the evap. goes, so you lose more storage space. It does, however, have a fridge. A really nice big one (bigger than the Full westy GL's fridge) that you can unfasten from the floor where it is mounted right inside the sliding door, and remove it and use it in your garage or whatever. (this explains the reason why these fridges are commonly missing on these models) there is a rear-facing jump seat directly behind the drivers seat, with a reverse flip up seatbottom, so you can put stuff under there. The entire left interior panel is a tan molded plastic, with a integrated table which folds out from the wall. there are also cupholders (always broken) in this side panel too. there is also a little side panel on the right, behind the sliding door, which has what's left of a cupholder in it too. As on the full GL westy's , the rear sofabed has storage underneath. There are curtains all around, and it has the screens for the windows.

If it weren't for the crappy ripped up interiors of these models, I'd probably have bought one. you still have some of the camper options like the poptop and such, without having to lug around all that extra cabinet weight. There's also alot more room to put stuff in these than the full GL westy. I'd probably never use the stove or sink in a Full GL westy anyway.

hope this helps,

chris