Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:20:08 -0500 (EST)
From:         ERIC ZENO <emz@pgh.nauticom.net>
Subject:      Last Word in Head Gaskets

Head Gaskets-- The last word!

If Anyone reads this list for a month or so one thing that is clear is that VW had Head Gasket problems. Vanagon 2.1, golf Desial, Jetta etc., they all had problems. The biggest misconception that I feel is not told or understood is that the problem was isolated to VW. Many Auto manufactures also have this problem. I have been working in a Garage for 7 years, part time. We have replaced many Head Gaskets, but not 1 on a Vanagon. Recently we broke a record, for our shop. 8 in 1 week, all on GM Cars. After talking to the night time mechanic, (he works at a Chevy dealer during the day) he proposed that the problem started to acure, when the heads on engines became, dissimillar medal to the block. So I asked him, how many head gaskets had he changed. He said "At least 100 a year, It's the biggest money maker for the dealer repair shop ever. I can do a 9 hour head gasket job in 3 hours", he said. I thought to myself and asked "how did you learn that?" His response was "I have it down to and exact science. I know exactly what has to come off, what has to be replaced, and even how long the new gasket will last." He even said he had replaced the same head gasket on the same car 4 time over a 6 years. I asked "what did the customer think? He said "We charge the customer 1/2 price and everyone is happy, the job has become as routine as changing brakes". Then I asked "I wonder what the problem is with Vanagons" His reply- """"There is safety in numbers"""" .

Conclusion: Your Vanagon does not have any more head gasket problems then anyone else. VW of America sales screwed us good. They must be fat and happy. Without quantities of knowledgable people Vanagon owner pay full prices for repairs. Parts became single sourced, witch leads to higher prices.

Eric Zeno <emz@nauticom.net> 86 VW-4x4 86 GL For Sale (Pgh. PA) 72 240Z 1936 Chrysler