Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jan 97 11:16:50 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      HELP!  I did something stupid

Hello all, '81 Vanagon Westy, air-cooled.

Well, get this: Today I broke the thermostat flaps return spring. You know, the little spring that's wound around the shaft that connects the two flaps (the ones that the thermostat opens/closes).

the spring has (had) a little arm that projects out and lodges under a projection in the fan housing so that the flaps fail-safe, i.e. they spring back to the open position. Well, I broke this little arm off so now the spring is toast and the flaps are not in fail-safe mode. I do currenlty have them wired open, so I'm not gonna be frying the engine but the repair prospects don't look good.

Am I correct in assuming that the spring cannot be removed from the shaft without removing the flaps from the fan housing? Am I also correct in assuming that you can't get to those flaps with the engine in the car? If it can be done with the engine in the car, does anyone have a spare spring they want to send me?

I really dislike driving around without a functioning thermostat, especially in the winter.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Sean