Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:28:19 -0600
From:         Bo Kersey <kersey@outdoortech.com>
Subject:      Re: Anyone Install a Drain Plug on a Vanagon Auto-Tranny

I can't imagine why you would want to install the drain plug. You don't need to change the fluid that often. When you change the fluid, it is a good idea to change the filter. You may introduce metal particles into the transmission in this operation. Dropping the pan is not that hard considering you only have to do it every 60k miles.

At 08:46 AM 1/23/97 -0600, you wrote: >I am considering putting a drain plug on the auto-trans of my 87GL. I >propose drilling the boss on the opposite side from the ATF filler tube >and tapping it for a drain plug. Has anyone done this? The boss on the >ATF pan looks it was designed for a drain plug on some other >application. I wish to know if there is enough metal there to accept the >threads necessary for a drain plug. Anyone done this? Anyone have a any >data on the thickness of the boss on the ATF pan? Any data and feedback >appreciated. >Regards >Mark B. Magee >87GL 78K > > Bo Kersey Outdoor Technologies P O Box 548 Austin, TX 78767 (512)374-0500 (512)374-0200 fax