Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:19:40 -0600
From:         Bill Johnson <bjohns@dtx.net>
Subject:      Antenna Solution

I installed a mag mount on my Vanagon. I installed it on the front, right below the Fiberglass top. I used a m-359 right angle adapter (RS 278-199) to re-orient the antenna to the upright position. Of course you can put a 90 degree bend in the antenna without any loss of performance.

Bill --------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>Hi all: A few months back someone sent a great sounding suggestion about fiberglass tops and ground plane problems with antennas. I like the idea of attaching a small round galvanized steel plate in the center of the top with silicon and then attaching a magnetic antenna to it. As I understand it, with this setup on fiberglass you don't have much, if any, ground plane. I think the suggestion was to run wire, apperently available at a CB supply shop around the antenna in as large of a star shape as the room on the top allows. The more points on the star the better the ground plane will be. I can't remember if you have to ground the antenna to the star wire though. I'd like to try that on my Westy when I can make the time. I just have a gutter mount and can tell that I just don't have the antenna that I need to have the power that the trucks seem to have on the freeway.

Todd Francis 86 Syncro Westy 91 Tristar<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<