Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:16:36 +0200
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      Re: Diesel emmissions.

>The European automakers are actively pursuing small automotive >diesel engine development (typ about 1l 3 cyl engines) to meet >new (.2 to .3 l/10km) fuel milage goals. European rules and taxes >favors low total fuel consumption and emmissions and small engines.

Oh, that's right. But the industry have to struggle against German tax regulations. German vehicle taxes for passenger cars depends on cubic capacity, kind of fuel and emissions. In this, regular Diesels, compared with gasolines same power, have near doubled taxes. But the Diesel fuel is lower in taxes. You have to drive at minimum 18 Tkm a year to get same prices on DM per km. If you have more, Diesels are cheaper.

Another item are taxes about emissions. That's why all factories developed the TDI and the catalytic converter for Diesels. Mercedes developed a filter for particle emissions.

To reduce particle emissions you should use agricultural produced fuel. I do this just before the two years emission tests and I got excellent results until now. I can not give you the exact procedure how to measure the effect of darken a special measuring filter, but this are my last results on the TD (which is equipped with a CC):

Darkness top measurement: Limit 2.00 per minute Measurement 0.39 per minute

Darkness average measurement: Limit 2.00 per minute Measurement 0.38 per minute

Deviation of measurements: Limit 0.50 per minute Measurement 0.02 per minute

This tests are done at the highest rpm the engine will allow, actually 5070 rpm on my Golf and this test. But there is no load on the engine, hopefully high milage vehicles will resist this nonsense test.

Helmut '80 Camper