Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:05:00
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (Ron Salmon)
Subject:      Re: Fast German Auto

>Just noticed these guys now have an excellent web page at > >www.fastgermanauto.com > >Somebody should really check these people out, they beat the pants >off AVP or Stephens, can you say $1099 for the A/C vanagon 2.0 with >NEW heads, P/C, lifters, bearings, etc. Or can you say $750 with >rebuilt heads with strengthened seats!!! Or $1600 for a wasserboxer >again with NEW heads. Seems incredible to me, probably too good to >be true, would be nice for one of our CA people near Santa Ana to go >on by and give it a look-see.

I've been curious about these guys, too. Their prices do seem too good to be true. One unusual thing is that apparantly they actually rebuild your motor, rather than selling you a rebuilt one. You have to send them your old motor up front for them to rebuild. A friend of mine needed a type 4 motor quickly, and asked if they could just sell him one, charge him a core deposit, and then refund the core when he returned his old motor (like most places do). They agreed, but charged him something like $600 for a core deposit (this for a 1.8L, typically a $100 core). They promised to ship the motor the next day via 2nd day air, but nearly a week went by and he never got it. When he finally called he learned that they hadn't even shipped it yet(!), so he cancelled the deal and ordered from AVP. So I never got a chance to check out their motor.

-Ron Salmon