Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 1997 00:55:00 -0500 (EST)
From:         TStone8359@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Engine Alternatives

For some time, I have been looking for alternatives to the wasserboxer engine in my '85 Westie. I have has an '87 Vanagon GL and have gone through the leaky head gasket thing three times with it. When the '85 sprung a leak this fall, I said enough is enough. I have seen lots of discussion about Golf/Jetta engine replacements, but it seems that they have all been done to diesel Vanagons. I haven't been able to find anyone who has done the conversion to a wasserboxer.

I called Kennedy Engineered Products last Friday. They are famous for their adapter plates for adapting almost any engine to any vehicle. They have adapter plates for adapting Golf/Jetta engines, but numerous parts from a diesel Vanagon are needed to complete the conversion. They do have a conversion kit that they are developing which adapts a Subaru engine (135h opposed 4 cylinder from a Legacy) to the Vanagon. They are part way through the process of getting the conversion approved for California emissions tests. At the present time, they are not pursuing the development of a kit for Golf/Jetta conversions.

My preference is to keep the vehicle German if possible. While the Subaru engine is a perfect fit and all, I have had good experience with engine reliability through several hundred thousand miles of Rabbit/Golf/Jetta driving. I want to use the Westie this summer, so need to get moving on something.

Does any list member have experience with the Subaru engine conversion?

Are there list members who have replaced their wasserboxer engines with a Golf/Jetta engine?

Does anyone know where I can find an '82 diesel Vanagon parts donor vehicle in the Midwest (I am in Illinois)? Engine condition is not important, but it should still be with the vehicle.

Your thoughts, experience, and leads are appreciated.

Tom

'77 Bus '85 Westie '87 GL