Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:41:53 -0500 (EST)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: '91 Vanagon engine fire

>How do you find out if you westy has had the recall procedure done? > >This fire thing is really starting to get to me!!. > >Charles Michaux >'91 Westy (37K)

Supposedly you can call VWoA and have they query your VIN# for known informa- tion. If you purchased your Westy from an individual or a dealer, you should ask them if they received a recall notice and, if so, was the work performed.

The person I purchased my Westy from just happens to be a German Stock Broker who is not in the country very much - thus the vehicle with only 10K garaged miles when I bought it. I have a call in to him, but he has not returned yet.

If you have ever had work done at a dealership, you can have them check the records for you. Unfortunately I trusted VWoA to inform me if there was anything I needed to know - that failed.

When I purchase a replacement Westy - believe you me, I WILL have my local trusted dealership check all of the fuel related parts and replace any that have been on recall or look worn in the least.

I too am concerned about this fire thing!

PS. The investigator did find 2 other similar reports of engine fire listed with NTHSA as reported by the owner/investigator of 2 Westies. One was in '91 the other in '94. The one in '94 was almost identical to mine -

drove 2 miles, heard a pop (in mine the driver noticed the engine miss), and then noticed flames coming from both wheel wells. total loss.

Perhaps there are only a few real incidents, but when it happens to you it is VERY PAINFUL to watch your beautiful Westy burn to death and know there's nothing you can do but cry!

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource Management Software Support Department of Forestry & Office of Information Technologies Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203