Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:43:36 -0800
From:         Pat.Spragge@wj.com
Subject:      Re: side mirrors

I just spent an hour or so dismantling my mirror on my '85 westy. It is a very straight forward job.

Remove the mirror by unscrewing the two screws.

Inside you will find a nut securing a hefty spring. I suppose under ideal conditions that by tightening or loosening this nut you will affect the amount of force required to adjust the mirror(when it is attached to the van). However, mine was pretty rusted up and the plate that the spring rests on was firmly rusted to the shaft that the nut threads onto so that no amount of increased force on the spring had any effect on the mirror adjustment.

My next step will be to patiently try to work the plate and shaft apart.

Pat Spragge

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: side mirrors Author: TGMK36B@prodigy.com (MRS KAREN A ROBERTS) at INTERNET Date: 1/27/97 7:23 PM

Hi Volks,

We have an 85 Westy and in very strong winds the drivers' side mirrror slowly moves into the side of the van, making it very interesting during lane changes. Is there any way to tighten it up or do we have to buy a new mirror? thanks, Karen in London, Oh.

____