Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jan 1997 17:49:17 +0000
From:         "Donald Baxter" <dbax@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Oil Change Question

Some odd things happened when I did my regular oil service on my '85 Vanagon today. When I pulled the oil filter after draining the oil, a lot of oil came out with the filter--more than I think is normal. It was as if the oil passage close to the filter flange was 'holding' oil or something. When I installed the filter and added 4 quarts of synthetic and started the engine it took at least a minute for the oil light to go out. I turned the engine off and on a few times for fear that the engine would be starved of lubrication. I'm used to a bit of a delay after an oil change, but this seemed excessive. The engine is almost new, a remanufactured unit from VW of Canada installed around 15,000 miles ago last January, and has been flawless.

Once the engine finally developed sufficient oil pressure, now on restarting, the oil light goes out immediately.

I checked the oil and found that it was almost a quart low after adding the initial four quarts--I usually add the additional 1/2 quart after starting the engine, checking for leaks and then checking oil level.

Is this odd, or am I being hypersensitive. Donald Baxter 405 Sixth Street, N.E. Atlanta, GA 30308-1636 (404) 874-3292