Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:27:41 -0000
From:         "Lionel Tun" <lionel@ark.prestel.co.uk>
Subject:      Re: Peter Russek Manual? (was: Excellent book 'VW Bus-Camper-Van 1979-1989' )

> > When I was getting a Peter Russek Manual for the watercooled Transporter > > from VW Books, > > Peter Russek Manual??? What's this and where can it be obtained??

It is called Volkswagen Transporter Workshop Manual (from 1982 on) Owners Edition. It is published by Brooklands Books Ltd (again) and Peter Russek Publications Ltd. The copyright note says it has been compiled from text and illustrations supplied by Peter Russek Publications Ltd. I have seen tiny little booklets with fairly basic info called Peter Russek Pocket Mechanics. This is not one of them, but A4 sized and with 175 pages.

The pictures seem to be a subset of those in Bentley but a lot smaller in scale. The text seems to be more descriptive than Bentley which is more procedural. I am not a good one to judge, being a beginner, but I have a feeling it is much less comprehensive than Bentley in scope. I mean it is only 9 mm thick compared to Bentley's 45 mm, although the text is smaller and more tightly packed and there are less pictures. On the other hand it covers topics with more explanation, whereas Bentley only tells you how to take it apart and put it back together.

It is published in the UK, so it has a chapter on carburettors, but it also has a chapter on fuel injection (Digijet and Digifant). It covers 1.9 and 2.1, auto and manual. There is a wiring diagram towards the back.

It is 15.95 UK pounds compared to 59.95 UK pounds for the Bentley. I got it from VW Books in Leicester (0044 116 286 6686).

Lionel Tun 84 Caravelle GL lionel@ark.prestel.co.uk