Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:33:49 -0800
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@m2.sprynet.com>
Subject:      RE: Euro headlight.

>>I saw late model vans ('86 and up) with round headlights (in the US they >>would've been rectangular) that weren't the normal 7" (18 cm ?) but much >>larger like 9" (23 cm). I saw these on all the police and ambulance Vans >>as well as regular Vans. What were these lights, and are they available as >>a modification? Or are they a government only type option.

> >No, the duo round headlights are sold as regular. The European lights are >not DOT approved, but you may also use the headlights from the Golf (same >size) with the Vanagon frame for round headlights.

I think I we're on the wrong wavelength. The round lights I'm refering to are BIG, much bigger than the standard round lights found on pre '86 Vans here and most over there. The Golf's are the standard size, and no where near as big as these others.

It's the BIG ones I need to find out about. The bigger the reflector, the better the beam pattern.

And screw the DOT! ;) I have euro lights on both my GTI and my Corrado, they are much better than the stock DOT lights.

>>A second set-up had the normal round head lights but with driving lights >>in the grille similar to the later model GTI's (up to '91). Do you know >>anything about these? > >Do you speak about quad round headlights in the upper grille? I know that >this are available from VW South Africa and an American supplier (250 USD). >Ask Chris (102660.66) for details. But I can check if this are available >from VW parts suppliers.

Yes that's the one. The upper grille has driving lights like the '90 GTIs do. But South Africa? I can't believe there isn't a European manufacturer.

>Additional lights are available for an extended lower grille. Two different >sets are available: Dou retangular foglights or beams, quad retangular >for foglights and beams.

This is a new one for me. How much are those, and who sells them? I have the D&W catalog ($10 in Europe, $45 over here) and I didn't see that listed.

> >I like to give you help to find your parts. Where do you want to go in >Europe?

I'll be back in Europe this summer and I tend to wander around. I would go to Germany to look for parts, but the language thing is a problem. My girlfriend is Croatian so I travel around in Europe, and eventally end up down there. (by the way, Croatia is a stunningly beautiful country).

But those Big round headlights are really interesting. If you can find any info please pass it on.

Thanks

James

PS where do you live?

New York City, and Williamstown Ma, Aspen, CO (winters)

Alternate address: stirling@aol.com

Red '93 Corrado VR6 SLC (Highly modified) Red '87 GTI G60!! <---- and '67 deluxe split window (9 pass.) '71 Westy Breadloaf (high performance engine B&B) '81, '85 Westy Vanagons '83 9 passanger Vanagon '66, '74 (9 pass) busses (decomposing) ----------------------------------------------------------