Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:29:01 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Windshield Wipers Summary

Vanatics, Last week I wrote a message whining about the poor performance of my Vanagons windshield wipers. Here's a summary of the responses I received:

1. I've always liked the Bosch Micro-edge II. Had 'em on my SAAB. 2. ...the ones dealers sell, while overpriced, do work much better than the aftermarket ones... 3. ...Technical service bulletin...special tool to bend the wiper arm...go to the dealer and have them bend your arms ( i mean wiper)... 4. I put trico snow blades on and found out they don't work very well at high

speeds, over 60 MPH. 5. I didn't have that problem with the regular bosch blades. 6. If you haven't done so already, put Rain-X on, it really works. 7. ...I resorted to OE Bosch types from the dealer. Which Worked!... 8. ...Rain-X and see if it would help. It did--immensely. Now I hardly ever have to use the wiper... 9. I tried the Bosch's and returned them, couldn't get them to fit good. 10. I purchased Pylon Refills from Walmart and they have worked good... 11. ...Bosch? I put a set on my Jetta - they seem to last quite well... 12. I too went through the triple edge crap - they fall apart after 1-2 months... 13. Got a container of "Nothin's Better" glass polish compound. You wouldn't believe the difference... 14. Rain-x. I have been using this product for several years...in heavy stuff there is no comparison...When you need it there is no substitute... 15. ...have the wiper blade run perpendicular to the windshield so it can wipe in both directions. 16. ...(my dad) had the windshield replaced... 17. "Mine SUCK! (Pardon my French, Phillippe)" - Don't worry for that, Jim, you know that all the French are very rude, don't you? It's written in ewsweek...:<)

So the final score card is:

Recommendations: -------------------------------- Bosch Micro Edge II: 1 Bosch or OEM: 3 Bend the arms: 2 Rain-X: 2 Pylon: 1 "Nothin's Better" glass polish: 1 Replace windshield: 1

"Dis-recommended": ------------------------------- Trico: 1 Tripledge: 1 Bosch: 1

And one Frenchman whose clearly NOT rude! :-)

I have used Rain-X on and off and it definitely helps. Even using it I'm still not wiper-satisfied though. I think what I'll do is:

1. Try the "Nothin's Better" glass polish (the glass is not too bad, but not in great shape) 2. See if it helped 3. Try Bosch blades 4. See if they helped 5. Apply Rain-X, which I know helps 6. Have the windshield replaced - it has a couple pits from rocks anyway

Thanks all for your help, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg