Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 97 19:42:58 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Re: alt. & OXS lights freaky

> > My OXS and Alt. lights come on together too when there isn't enough > voltage. I found my problem was the alternator pully slipped. You might > just need to check your belt and your charging system in general. > > I think it's just afreak thing that both lights go on when I found it to > be a charging problem. Oxy Sensor was fine. > > Hotch > 86 GL > Philly > Hotch and others, It's not just a freak thing. The reason both lights come on together is because both are on the same circuit. You will notice that both lights go out at the same instance when the van is started and the engine revved.

The OXS light has nothing whatsoever to do with the oxygen sensor. It comes on every so often (I forget how many miles it is). You know that black box that's in line with the speedometer cable? Well every certain number of miles, that box closes a switch which turns the OXS light on. Same as in my '81 with the EGR light. To reset it, you find that box and push the little white button and the light goes off for a few more miles. With my EGR light it's every 15,000 miles. The natural consequence of both lights being on the same circuit is that the OXS light will come on if the alt. light comes on (same as when you turn the key on but don't start the engine). Doesn't mean anything's wrong with the oxygen sensor but it's not a coincidence either.

Sean