Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:22:44 -0800
From:         Barbara Sutton <bsutton@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      My new '91 Westie

Hi everybody. Glad to join the list, which I've been reading for a long time and was a very good reference for the recent purchase of a '91 Westie (name search in progress). Just in case anyone is interested, its a bordeaux, 4-sp, full camper, alloys, power everything, 80,000 miles, one owner, VW stereo, hitch, bra, very clean; paid $16,500. I know, it may sound expensive to you east coasters, but around here (Eugene, OR) that is reasonable, or so I think. The mechanic that did the pre-purchase inspection (which specializes in VWs)said that the only thing he found was a leaking head, and said that this was a minor thing and that it would cost about $70 to fix. Since I've read so much about those #*&% heads in the list ,and certain plastic component that melts down, etc. I was wondering how "minor" this is, and if I should have it fixed right away. Would this be the time to replace the plastic component for the metal one that is mentioned in the list? As you can see, I'm pretty much confused, so any lead will be useful @ this point.

Just found something worth exploring: "1991, VW Vanogon (sic), $9,450. Conversion/camper, manual transmission, GL, original owner, excel. condition, fully eqpd., new tires, 4-speed. For sale by private party. (703)620-2449 [Day]. Virginia."

Cheers,

Cris.

'66 kombi '67 Deluxe '91 Westie