Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 06 Jan 1997 07:23:34 -0800
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: Kelly On Line

Kenyon--

When dealing with insurance companies, it has been my experience that you must be firm, persistent and say the word "lawyer" often. They will almost NEVER give you blue book. They claim that that is a 'national average' and they only offer 'local value' which they themselves compute (convenient, huh). A few years back, a guy crossed the median and totalled my car. I had boughten it used for $6500 6 months before the accident. Insurance company started off offering $3500 and 'maxed out' (after 2 weeks of argueing) at $4200 at which point I flat out refused and told them that they would be hearing from my attorney. About 30 minutes later, I received a phone call from them offering $5500 (blue book at the time--regional edition--had it at $6200). Considering that I had put 25K miles on it in the 6 months that I had had it, I was satisfied with this offer and settled.

Have you considered buying it back from the insurance company after you settle? They will usually sell it back for $50-$100 so they don't have to deal with the salvage--and they don't get much for it anyway from the salvage yards.

Good luck and remember--be firm & persistent. Know what you will accept and stand by it. And mention lawyer! Just saying the word makes them quiver!

Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle