Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:22:40 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Head Gaskets are shot. Should I swap heads?

In a message dated 97-01-31 00:57:00 EST, RobHalliga@aol.com writes:

> Any advice much appreciated. My head gaskets are leaking after an > overheat. It's an '87 with 68K miles on it. Should I kick down and do the > heads at the same time? The mechanic thinks it's almost always necessary. > I've heard the contrary.

It is not always necessary. They are typically replaced due to corrosion pitting in the sead surface where it's supposed to seal with the gasket. If the corrosion is mild, it can be filled - list members have done it with JBWeld material. However, you mention an "overheat". This could also have damaged the heads, so while the corossion may not cause you to replace them, this might.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg