Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jan 1997 19:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Bleeding Air problems

In a message dated 97-01-31 14:17:42 EST, m_dower@oz.plymouth.edu (Michael D. Dower) writes:

> I have recently attempted to bleed the air from my radiator. My heads leak > when it is cold. The dripping stops when the motor heats up. I bled the > system according to the Bently manual and advice from the list. I took it > for a short road test (2 miles) and the gauge went bonkers again. I > immediately pulled over and loosened the radiator screw. Air came out > after bleeding the system for a half hour. I drove again for about a mile > and again the gauge went off again. It seems that I either did not get all > the air out or it is getting in from some place else, heads perhaps? I > just nedd to patch this together to get me about 500 miles ( new motor) > any advice? Stopping every three miles makes for a long trip anywhere, and > I don't want to smoke the motor. I have some Barsleaks but have not > experimented with it yet.

It sounds like you might have more significant problems than just the coolant leak. Perhaps combustion gases leaking from the cylinders into the coolant. Perhaps a clogged radiator. Perhaps a stuck thermostat.

At this point it couldn't hurt to use the Barsleak.

Make sure to check out the cooling system thougoughly (primarily the radiator) before running the new engine. You don't want to damage the new engine with a clogged radiator!!

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg