Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         31 Jan 97 22:29:01 EST
From:         "Turner,Ronald L." <102660.66@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Re: EV Piston Slap Questions

> my 93gl had the pistons replaced this past spring at 30.000 miles. it still >makes the clattering noise everyone is talking about. it also seems to run >rough, that is, like the timing is a little off. the noise i noticed before >and after the pistons were replaced sound like the injectors clicking. anyone >else have this?

Hi. I've been trying to tell everybody that the lifter tap (piston slap) is a charachteristic of the inline 5 after initial cold startup. I drive a '84 Audi 5000 turbo daily. (where's the Vanagon? - shaddup... :<) It has 135k mi on it currently. (This is the EXACT same engine as in the EV, minus the turbo, of course) I bought it when it was 4 years old and had approx. 50k mi on it. When I bought it , the lifters tapped when cold, for a few minutes until it warmed up. Now, at 135k mi, it does the same thing - no more - no less. Have I ever had any problems because of the lifter tap? No. In fact, the oil in my engine is still golden brown at 135k ( I keep up with the oil changes) and I know I'll never have to replace the pistons as long as I own the car. The Audi inline 5 is virtually an "indestructable" engine. I have seen more than my fair share of Audi 5000's in junkyards - but never because of a "bad engine". (expensive PS (hydraulic) systems are Audi's downfall, and of course CBS's "60 Minutes" didn't help much either..... (They killed the resale value with their little "unintended acceleration" bit...READ: DRIVER ERROR) But if you can get VW to replace your pistons, then more power to ya. It won't change a thing. Just be thankful you don't have to deal with headgasket problems like the V-gons.

chris