Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 97 08:27:08 -0500
From:         Dave Mancuso <Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us>
Subject:      5K on new heads....

(My second post--my first one yesterday seems to have not made it to the list. Someone please let me know if I'm double-posting somehow...)

Boy, I haven't written in a looong time.

But things still keep happening with my bus ('87 Westy).

My heads blew at 143,444 miles (well, one sprayed, the other was only seeping).

$2K for: new heads from VW including valves, and gaskets new water pipe from rear to front new piston rings (but old cylinders and pistons were still in good shape) new clutch slave cylinder (that was gone too, unrelated) (and labor)

I've been waiting for the heads to go, so I wasn't too upset. My wife however, was a different story... >8-O

It's been 5K on the new heads, van seems great. Went down to Florida over Christmas, ran great at 68 mph all the way (I did give it 2K of milder speeds to help seat the valves). Gets a shade under 20 mpg.

Seems to run a little bit hotter with the new heads (or else it's just the dino oil). I've changed it once already, but I'm going back to synthetic (probably Mobil 1 again) at the 150K mark (6.5K miles from the head install).

Rolling down the road, Dave

PS--I put new speakers in the front doors, which stick out 1/4 inch from the panels. I'm afraid to bend and break the window cranks, so I just loosened them a little and turn them carefully to avoid scraping the new speakers. Anybody have a better suggestion? Or should I warm the cranks up and try to bend them just a little bit?