Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:43:01 PDT
From:         VWNUT@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: Re(2): Re(2): Rough running when Hot

> Shawn, > > I agree with your diagnosis of bad electical connections, especially since the > van has been sitting for over a year. Corrosion on the connectors might cause > behavior like this, I would think, but I wondering if this would depend on > engine temperature, since it only misfires when hot. Does that make sense? > Charles,

Elecrtical connections can be very temp sensitive - for example I have had ethernet cables which work fine when cool, but fail after 4- 6 hrs of use & subsequent ambient temperature change. Cutting open the cables uncovered very small cracks in the solid core wire which had become brittle with age.

After just fixing the speaker & power mirror wires in my driver's door, I was amazed how the VW wires fall apart inside, but look fine on the outside. I'd check all connectors in the engine area, then move on to those wires subject flexing with engine vibrations. It is quite likely that some of them may be cracked inside, causing an error condition in the ECU, which is then reset by cutting the power.

Shawn Wright (VWnut@smus.bc.ca) '88 Westy (336k) '85 Jetta TD (358k) '69 Wife '97 1st child (! :)