Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 07 Jan 1997 16:57:25 -0800
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: Re(2): Rough running when Hot

Charles,

The problem with the air mass meter (not the original harness) is that it gives intermitten bad signals to the computer. After a while, these bad signals build up and really confuse the computer. The 'magical harness' that VW added simply 'conditions' the signal so that those intermittent drops/surges (I'm not sure which one it was) don't actually reach the computer.

>From your most recent postings though, I too question how long it takes to make it mess up. If it is a very regular, short, time increment, look at that O2 sensor. I believe that the computer ignores it at startup until it has had time to heat up. Those extra 2 wires are to heat it up, by the way. However, because the signal is in such a small voltage amount (under 1v), it must be hot to give a good reading. The computer is suppose to ignore readings out of the expected range (i.e. too high or too low), but yours could be giving it a reading in the range but not accurate. If restarting is all that is necessary (no cooling off period), the computer has to be getting a bad signal which is reset when you turn it off and back on.

As far as your questioning how the grounding strap can help, the computer is looking at fairly minute changes in voltages from its sensors. The voltages aren't a definitive amount, they are relative to a ground. They are simply the 'difference' between two points. Believe it or not from the definition I'm going to give you, I'm an electrical engineer. But I'm going to explain it so that it makes sense (although theoretically, it might not be scholarly accurate or in the right terms). Say the computer's ground is .2v higher than a sensors ground. If the sensor is sending a signal that, to the sensor, is 1v, the computer is only going to see .8v. The computer interprets this as a completely different situation than what the sensor was trying to tell it. Likewise, if the sensor has a ground that is .1v higher than the computers, a 1v from the sensor will look like 1.1v to the computer. Adding grounding straps can stabilize the ground to where everything has an equal one.

Wow, was that long winded or what?

If you can give a better description of how/when/what temp it misbehaves, and how/when/what temp it acts right, it'll help all of us help you better.

It took almost a year to get mine working right, I hope you have a lot better success!! But then, I didn't join the list until I was 9 months into my saga, so you've already got a BIG headstart!

Good luck! Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle