Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 1997 23:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From:         ERIC ZENO <emz@pgh.nauticom.net>
Subject:      Re: Re(2): Re(2): Rough running when Hot

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 cbennett@kpmg.com wrote:

> Eric, > > The engine runs fine right after I start it back up. Then the rough running > starts again, with black exhaust. I am going to check out the O2 sensor, > coolant sensor, vacuum lines, and air mass sensor first. I'll keep you posted, > after I do some tests. Do you know where the coolant sensor is located. I've > also had problems with bad connections, since the Vanagon has been setting for > over a year without being started. > > Thanks, > > Charles > WEll from what you have talked about, I would say it has a bad wire to the temp. sensor. I have seen several wire breaks in the engine compartment. It's a common problem.

I Posted this about 10 months ago.

I had a very similar problem that the dealer could not fix! It was the middle of the winter and I didn't have a place out of the snow to work on it. So I thought a VWoA dealer was the best thing. Man was I wrong. They wanted to put a computer in. 6 weeks later after the snow was melting I fix it by replacing a wire. I simply traced out every wire in the engine compartment from the computer to the engine. Found the temperature sensor not making a connection. Pulled on the wire right there in the engine compartment where the engine rocks and found the break. I then replaced the entire wire to the computer. I haven't has that problem since.

Your symptoms sound just like mine. The only other thing I know of that will can cause these symptoms is the O2 sensor. To check this just disconnect the single wire plug. This is a good temperary check. Or a temerary fix to get you home.

let us know what you find

Eric Zeno