Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 97 09:05:08 -0600
From:         Rocko Flamefart <-@--.-->
Subject:      Tool Pontifications

John had said:

[re: Harbor Freight]

>still $25 for a set of Chinese combination wrenches up >to 32mm is unbeatable, go price one single Craftman wrench over 19mm

uhhh.... er, well

>if you don't believe me, use the stuff once and it will pay for >itself,

ah. true. it will pay for itself but often only 'once'. a higher quality tool will pay for itself many times. now, that said, i DO carry a cheap set of Chinese sockets in the van at all times. they are intended to pay for themselves ONCE, when i break down. the Snap-Ons pay for themselves repeatedly in the garage. in fact, the Snap-Ons are now on their second generation. my father used them throughout his career up until last year when he gave them to me. and now my son and daughter are approaching the age where they can also use them for their 'repairs'. yes, good tools are incredibly expensive. but if something is going to last for several generations AND provide excellent service during those years, they are worth the high price of admission.

this isn't a Yuppie purchase rationalization. well, not too much. years ago (back in Joel's day :) things were generally made to have a long service life but they were also expensive in terms of the percentage of annual income it took to initially buy the thing. you saved and then it was a big deal when you came home with an anvil, a drill press, or a pipe wrench. but you knew you wouldn't have to be buying another one for decades. now, the good tools are still available but at what appears to be comparatively outrageous prices due to the plethora of cheap imported junk. but don't be deceived, the utility is still there in the quality tool purchase.

<soapbox mode off>

-dan (who when threatened in a dark corner will admit to buying imported junk too)