Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 97 10:02:23 -0800
From:         vince_pappalardo@om.cv.hp.com
Subject:      Re: Snow Chains front ?

Item Subject: Snow Chains front ? Hi Dave,

I posed a similar question to the list about a month ago. I infrequently go into the snow--mostly when I go into the mountains for recreation. After hearing all the recommendations, I got some Z-Cables from a local chain (pun intended) store (GI Joes--no kidding that's there name--"go seize the weekend" is there motto). They are a lot easier to put on than the cables for my Eclipse and they have a "Z" or zig zag pattern on the cross cables that keep at least some portion of the cable on the snow at all times as well as give you the snow plow effect for traction--those familiar with skiing will appreciate the ability to stop using this method. You can get a similar (mine look identical to those in the catalog) set from JC Whitney catalog for about $60 (I paid $45 at GI Joes)--they call them Z-Chains. One listee highly recommended the JC Whitney brand for ability to hold up after going through several other brands. Other advice I got was to use them only on the rear unless the steering feels loose. Most of the responses from the listee that live in the snow recommended regular chains for there cost, effectiveness, longevity, & repairablity.

Hope this helps,

Vince '84 GL Westy '90 Mit. Eclipse GSX.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Snow Chains front ? Author: Non-HP-vanagon (vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu) at HP-Corvallis,shargw1 Date: 1/7/97 6:38 PM

hi, Before i embark on my mountain trip in two weeks I Intend to get snow chains (in case) Silly question tho do I need to install on the front as well as the back of the westie?...........Also anyone have a phone number where I can buy them Mail order Not many around here in North Carolina Dave WR3I 86 westie (217k miles) -- ------------------------------------- Name: Dave (WR3I) E-mail: us014471@pop3.interramp.com (David Trevor Richards) Date: 09/12/95 Time: 21:47:25

This message was sent by Chameleon -------------------------------------