Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:36:42 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Turbo" <thom@calweb.com>
Subject:      Forwarded mail... (Book Rip Off)

----- Forwarded message from Tom and Kathie David -----

>From owner-vintagvw@SJSUVM1.SJSU.EDU Wed Jan 8 10:30:18 1997 Message-Id: <199701081830.KAA12218@mail.calweb.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:47:58 -0600 Reply-To: Air-Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List <VINTAGVW@SJSUVM1.SJSU.ED= U> Sender: Air-Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List <VINTAGVW@SJSUVM1.SJSU.EDU> >From: Tom and Kathie David <fidsatom@MAIL.EXECPC.COM> X-To: vintagvw@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu To: Multiple recipients of list VINTAGVW <VINTAGVW@SJSUVM1.SJSU.EDU>

About the supposed " new " release of Bill Fisher's classic work, " How t= o Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines ".

This is now being marketed and sold with a new front and rear cover in a sealed plastic bag, mine was from Bugpack. I haven't done a line by line comparison but THIS IS NOT AN UP DATED VERSION. I was assured by the sale= s guy that this had " lots of new information ". WRONG............. As examples, not one word of the now common 90.5mm or 92 or 94 pistons, no mention of the new fuel injection systems, no mention of either Pauter Machine, Bergman, etc. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no difference between this " new " edition and my original from 1971.

I still think that this is one of the single best volumes ever written about air cooled VW's and should be read by everyone with more than a casual interest in them.

I don't like the whole idea of the sealed plastic bag " you opened it so now we can't let you return it " marketing strategy. This is just plain prevarication and the old bait and switch.

Do get one if you don't already have this book, BUT................ don't be dumb like me and spend your money on a old book with a new cover. It is NOT updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is NOT a new edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A REPRINT OF A FINE 70's VINTAGE BOOK

tom

=FF=FF NO SUBJECT

----- End of forwarded message from Tom and Kathie David -----

Thom -- > Everybody loves a moose; some just don't know it. Thom Fitzpatrick=20 thom@calweb.com - http://www.calweb.com/~thom Keeper of the Barndoor Bus Page: http://www.calweb.com/~thom/barndoor.htm= l