Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:08:39 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: Tool Pontifications

> ah. true. it will pay for itself but often only 'once'. a higher quality > tool will pay for itself many times. now, that said, i DO carry a cheap set > of Chinese sockets in the van at all times. they are intended to pay for > themselves ONCE, when i break down. the Snap-Ons pay for themselves > repeatedly in the garage. in fact, the Snap-Ons are now on their second >

I too use Snap-On (standard) or old Craftsman for most all my repair work, collected from grandfather, great uncle, etc most of it 60's stuff my point is simply that any out of the ordinary size tools, IE above 19mm metric wrenches or over 25mm sockets, you will not beat a set of their wrenches, for OCCASIONAL only use. The 3/4" socket set is incredible by any standard though, finish is low point but I have put in excess of 500 ft lbs on the breaker extension and sockets on many occasion. Unless you worked every day on big rigs, more is useless. I once bought a Craftman 3/4" T, and 46mm socket for Vanagon rear axle nuts, cost was more than the entire Harbor Freight set. Plus you might be suprised of current Snap-On quality as well, I've broken a 12mm 1/2" drive Snap-On socket and during my undergrad days did some research that indicated that most US tool manufacturers tool quality (surface hardness a good easy measure) was declining, particularly Craftsman. I would never buy a set of the Harbor Freight stuff in normal sizes, truely false economy, usually Craftsman is the home guys best bet, you break it you return it for a new one, irritating but easy not to track down Snap-On guy. As a rule for hand tools I would NEVER buy Snap-On new price to performance ratio is poor for even heavy home use, now at an auction an entirely different matter, I'd buy Snap-On used in a heartbeat for say a price comparable to Craftsman new. For more exotic stuff Snap-On is clearly the way, for pullers, special tools, my FI pressure gauges, etc, not for normal wrench/sockets just not worth more than the admittedly sorry Craftsman.

Again as I said you get what you pay for with them if it's real cheap, it is CHEAP, but if it's say 50% of Craftsman cost, its likely 75% of Craftsman quaulity just poorly finished, sort of like the stuff Ace Hardware and Walmart sell these days.

John vwbus@netbiz.net