Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 08 Jan 1997 20:03:34 -0800
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: Hello again, Brakes, No-Start, Coolant bleeder, 1985 GL

Lawrence Johnson wrote: > > Lebron,Nathan wrote: > > > > >> Another problem i have been experiencing since purchase about 1.5 > > years ago > > >> is the No-start symptoms. This happens at any temperature, but more > > >> frequently when it is cold outside. I turn the key and all i hear is > > a > > >> slight hum, which i think is the fuel pump. Sometimes if i hold the > > key on > > >> for awhile it will finally turn over and start. If this doesn't work, > > >> usually waiting 20 min or so will work. The battery is fine, brand > > new. Is > > >> the solution the Ford solenoid? where can i find the details on this? > > > > Well, I had this same problem and I ended up replacing the starter. > > Apparently what happens is that the starter motor turns, (thus the hum) > > but the binhex doesn't pull out to engage with the flywheel to turn the > > engine over. One way to get the Vanagon going is to go under the van and > > while someone turns the key, hit the starter motor with a hammer until it > > engages. A couple of weeks ago it was 9 degrees in upstate NY and I > > refused to go under the Van to start it. I have no idea why the starters > > do that but that's how to solve it. > > I bought a Bosch reman starter for $160 in my area and paid a mechanic > > for 2 hours work. The dealer wanted $375 for a reman. > > > > If you get a solution to the break problem, please share because I have > > the same exact problem. > > > > Nate El Great > > 85 GL 157,000 miles- "Baby Blue Whale" > > Just a short addition to Nate's comments: > I've had this same problem with a 1980 Saab (not yet with our 1986 > syncro westy) and I got good results by lubricating the starter shaft > and bendix gear (the gear that engages the flywheel). I used kerosene as > a lubricant and sprayed it on. > Larry