Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:03:00 -0800
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: Nervous about heads

> Here's what I've been thinking about doing, of course I don't make a move > without consulting you wonderfull people:) Since my westfalia tends to > sit for months at a time, then be used for several months then sit again, > I thought that I should just drain the coolant out of it altogether while > it's sitting then refill when I know that I will be using it. That way no > corrosion would occur while it's sitting, and I would be sure to change > the coolant at least once a year. Of course this will be time consuming > and probably cause some inconvenience, but nothing compared to BIG BIG > $$$$ for new heads, or BIG BIG agravation to do the J.B.Weld fix. So what > does everyone think?? TIA

Not my bet. I'd expect good coolant to contain quite a bit of corrosion inhibitors that wet air would certainly be lacking. Maybe if you filled the system with Cosmolene in between...

Use distilled water and clean fresh antifreeze. One of the prime causes of corrosion is galvanic action -- where two dissimilar metals in electrical contact corrode. This is aided by electrolytes in the water -- even in soft water. Pure water is almost a non-conductor of electricity.

Dangling a zinc bar in the coolant, with the bar electrically wired to the engine would be good if the engine was iron. That's what ships do to keep from rusting in the seawater. I think aluminum is not going to be aided by such a thing, but my chemistry is years past.

I'd suspect that the corrosion sitting is not the culprit, though. The other main accelerator of corrosion is cavitic action -- pressure changes caused by flow turbulence. This would only affect the engine while running. Yet one more factor in corrosion is the temperature -- cold temps really stop corrosion -- your car rusts the next summer after driving in all that salt (that promotes the galvanic corrosion by making water conductive). I've seen an aluminum airplane that sat underwater in Lake Michigan for thirty years that looked better than some VW heads.

malcolm