Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jan 97 09:34:46 -0600
From:         Rocko Flamefart <-@--.-->
Subject:      ARCHIVES: distilled water + coolant

this was found in the archives... hint hint. archives located at:

http://halfdan.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/vanagon.html

>From: Rocko Flamefart <-@---.---> Subject: Distilled water + coolant Date: Fri, 11 Oct 96 11:04:08 -0500

Several people have suggested using distilled water in the vanagon cooling system. I would like to caution that this may not be a wise action considering the corrosion problems given wasserboxer heads.

Water can be viewed on a continum as either scale forming or corrosive, with the outcome being calculated as a "Saturation Index". Since water in motion tends to be corrosive, this water balance becomes critical in automotive cooling systems. To avoid corrosive conditions which can etch metal surfaces, including aluminum of the heads and heater cores, all water quality factors must be within proper ranges. Antifreeze manufacturers take great pains to produce a product that buffers the coolant so that it is neither corrosive nor scale forming. This is achieved by striking a balance between alkalinity, pH, and calcium hardness thru the addition of buffering components.

While these buffers do have an ability to compensate for varing water conditions, the "best" water to add to the cooling system is one that is already close to a zero saturation index, meaning neither scale forming nor corrosive. Distilled water, having no calcium hardness nor alkalinity to speak of, is extremely corrosive. It wants to pull ions out of contact surfaces, including metal. By using distilled water, one does make it LESS likely to have a scale form on the inside of the cooling system but it also makes it MORE likely to be corrosive. Seeing the corrosion of the sealing surfaces on my heads after I removed them, I would err on the side of being scale forming rather than corrosive.

So what water would be best to use? I would seek a non-softened, low-to-moderately hard well water low in iron. How you find that is up to your ingenuity but I have heard rumors regarding 1 gallon jugs of Autobahn water selling for $6.00. :)

Lastly, those of you who have used distilled water, take heart. Distilled water, while corrosive, is also easily buffered by the antifreeze components. What you are left with in terms of the composition of the coolant is a mixture that is buffered, but with some of the buffering components 'used' to reduce the corrosivity. A more neutral water would leave those components free for buffering as the system becomes contaminated with combustion gases, age, and Bars Leak. :)

-dan