Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jan 1997 12:51:36 -0500 (EST)
From:         HelFle8953@aol.com
Subject:      weird problem w/ poor 85 Westy gas mileage

Soon after replacing my plug & wires and throttle switch due to hesitations, my gas mileage went through the floor. One tank would take me 120 miles. Ouch. After looking for something I may have messed up around the engine (I checked all the sensors into the ECU) I crawled under looking for a leak.

I found that the vent tube that runs from the fuel tank overflow bottles (near the gas tank) to the canister (forward of passenger side engine) had become disconnected at a junction by the frame. Easy find and easy fix, huh? not so fast. Now my mileage has improved dramatically but is still only about 16 mpg around the city?

Any clues where to look. The vehicle runs great except it idles at around 2000 occasionally. The only other symptom is that I think the exhaust pipe is too black and there's black specs in the snow, indicating too rich a fuel misture.

A test light on the injector conectors flicker as I believe they should. All sensors were static checked OK per Bentley (that how I found the bad throttle switch).

So, did the open vent tube cause something else? I don't know what to check next? Any clues anyone?

John Fleming 85 Westy (145K) 79 Camaro 54 Ford F150