Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 09 Jan 1997 13:32:42 -0800
From:         WERNER SCHIRMER <werner.schirmer@snet.net>
Subject:      Re: Need help with propane valve

lbart wrote: > > Hey all, > I've been trying for a while and despite John Anderson being good enough to > explain it to me slowly so I'll understand ;) I still can't get the valve > apart on the propane tank of my '81 Westy. So if anyone has any ideas, > please please let me know. The problem is that the on/off valve on the > tank is leaking. It seems to be leaking past the seals in the valve. I've > been trying to get the valve apart so I can rebuild it. I managed to get > the screw out of the middle of the knob, but I can't get any farther than > that. That knob just will not pull off. Behind the knob is what looks > like two nuts run together but I can't tell if it's just a big single nut > or two separate nuts. I figure if I can get the nut(s) off I can withdraw > the valve but I can't get those suckers to budge at all. This is getting > really frustrating. Should I just take the thing to an RV place and have > them do it or what? > > Thanks, > Sean

The nut behind the the knob is a single one. If you can loosen it, the whole valve should come out. Mine leaked here when I was first installing it, so I just tightened it until it was snug. You can find out exactly where the leak is coming from by putting some soap solution (soap and water) on all parts wher it might be leaking and look for soap bubbles. If you're unsure, take it to an RV place. It's scary when it comes to playing around with a toxic, highly volitile gas =-0 Good Luck!

Mark '85 retrowesty "Duckmobile"