Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 09 Jan 1997 14:09:51 -0800
From:         WERNER SCHIRMER <werner.schirmer@snet.net>
Subject:      Re: Please help my family find a camper/van

Thad Hunkins wrote: > > My wife and I have 3 kids and are being sent to Germany for 3 years. We > have seen the vanagan westfalia camper vans and we think that is the way > to go for us since we like to travel/camp etc. > Lots of questions though. Thought the new EV would be our answer but I > have this rule about spending less on vehicles than I do houses. > > We need the middle seat due to family size. What years can accomodate? > Can we buy a seat elsewhere to fit a van we find and like > > I notice some with a rounder front--some more boxy front. Differences? > > How much does an engine rebuild cost? Transmission? It seems like a lot > of vans we see advertised need this. What else needs rebuilding often? > > Is there a consolidated place on the net to shop? We're in Monterey CA. > > This will be our primary vehicle so it must be reliable. Any tips on any > options we must have or should stay away from? > > Seems to be a big difference Air Vs. Water cooled? Is one better? > > Anything else I have to know about buying a camper van (Sorry, I don't > know if there is one name for the camper/van or not?--Westfalia? > Vanagan? Synch? etc. etc.) > > Any advice about these seemingly wonderful campers would be greatly > appreciated. We are very uninformed about this van but are very > interested. > > Sorry if there is a consolidated faq somewhere but I have looked for a > while and can't seem to find one. > > Thanks for any advice. E-mail to hunkins@mbay.net > > Thad

You may want to begin by checking import costs, as used vehicles in Germany are very expensive (compare). A turbo diesel engine is probably your best bet, and if you can afford it, get a TDI in Germany. Gasoline costs are about doubles compared to the US, but diesel fuel is affordable, and, of course diesels are more efficient, and need almost no maintenance other than regular oil changes. With VW/Audi's new TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) engine, the gasoline engine has become obsolete (VW Passat TDI averages about 38 mpg in the CITY, with no sacrifice in power). Unfortunately this engine is only available in the VW T4 (Eurovan in the US), and not available at all in the US in the EV- the oil companies must have gotten wind of it...... :-(

If you buy in Germany, or even in the US, you can probably find a Camper, fitted exactly to your needs, or you can make it so. For example, a swiveling middle seat is available for the camper (at least it was in '85), giving a total of 5 seats with seatbelts....

Happy Camping!

Mark '85 retrowesty "Duckmobile"