Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jan 1997 16:24:47 -0800
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      coolant lose was Re:Re nervous about heads

>| With no coolant being drawn in, the bubble is >| not ever purged and the system is in the start of a failure mode. Small >| bubbles eventually migrate to the top of the coolant tank where they will >| get purged next time the car warms up. [snip] >| That's where you'll see the trouble. If you have been adding coolant >| in ever-increasing little bits, and then it stops needing any -- this >| is not a sign of health! This is a sign of you making your mechanic's >| BMW payment sometime soon.

My aux heater core has a pin prick leak. No coolant actually flows out this leak, but if I turn the valve on, syncro really steams up. If the valve is off, I don't really have a problem. I have put this $140+ job off til I have some of the larger problems with the van fixed (like replacing the Hall sender plate because that little elbow snapped and grounds out the hall sender thus fooling the brain into thnking the engine has stopped and finally stalling the engine ;) ). I don't have to add water too often (last time was about 1500 miles ago or so and that was about a cup of water). Is this too quick? Where can I buy water hose clamps that will COMPLETELY close those tubes (the valve on the side of the core does not seem to completely close off the heater as it still gets warmer than the air around it after the car has been running a while)?

dave