Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 97 13:17:22 EST
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      RE: Nervous about heads

>I got a few weeks ago the same problem than yours and I change the cap, but >I'm not sure the problem is really fixed. Also the level of coolant is >changing pretty often in the expansion tank. Sometimes it's full, sometimes >it's half full. Any idea about this? I don't really trust the van right now, >that's why I don't go very far from home. What a shame!! I should ad it's a >turbo diesel but I think there is nothing to do with the cooling system. > >Thanks for any good advice, > >Philippe Oudot >'89 16" Syncro TD Oettinger >French Syncro Club

Philippe, you may also have a leak in the cooling system, letting air in and coolant out. On my diesel Vanagon I've had coolant leaks in many places over the years:

1/The "fitting" on the head where the coolant bypass hose is attached.

2/The block heater installed in one of the freeze plugs in (underside of) the engine block.

3/Where the upper radiator hose attaches to the radiator. I have metal pipes under the bus. Newer models have plastic i believe. Note that the pipes (at least on my bus) are several pieces, joined by short pieces of rubber hose. Every such joint is a possible place for a leak. There is at least one pair of joints under the bus (just behind the fuel tank), and one pair in the front, near the radiator.

4/The heater valve on the passenger side under the dash. These valves seem to be junk. The new VAG replacement I bought leaked worse than the old one I replaced!

If you have a leak and air in your cooling system you will see different levels of coolant in your expansion tank and overflow tank because the air bubbles expands when the engine is warm and contracts when cold. This "breathing" combined with a properly functioning pressure cap will try to refill the cooling system from the overflow tank.

Martin (Diesel VW Westfalia) -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester Fax: (716) 461-2018 Rochester, NY 14627-0226 WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/