Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:45:44 -0800
From:         natasha!mholser@Adobe.COM
Subject:      Re: Import Westy from Canada

I recently brought a Kombi Syncro from Canada to California. Here's what I found out.

First, this is possible -- easier for a Westy since it was sold in the US as well.

California DMV noticed mine only when going to issue a title in Sacramento. Their VIN number computer check revealed that this was a Kombi (model designator is "X") and not a US available model. They then required USEPA and USDOT approval, a letter from Volkswagen and an inspection.

US Customs might hit you for some import duty. They passed on me (probably because the old Kombi just looked like a cheap used van). Budget for this possibility -- they can hit you for "general duty" of 10% on a used car -- I carried an extra $300, but then they waved me through. US Customs is also supposed to hit you for DOT and EPA compliance, but they passed me through also -- because I already had California registration completed. You really want to get the DOT and EPA clearances before you do this.

You need to ask VWoA for a "Letter of Compliance" which will state that the vehicle is basically the same as the US model, with some exceptions:

USDOT requires that the vehicle meet US standards. Fortunately, all Vanagons are *real* close. The only thing needed is a speedometer that reads in mile per hour. You can either put in a US version, get lucky and find your Canadian one reads both (mine didn't), modify the speedo, whatever. They will require proof of this change. I simply printed up a paper dial face and taped it over the original. Came out looking great. The odometer can stay in Kilometers -- as long as it is clearly labelled (which they are). The other required difference is the little brake idiot light. The US version needs to say "BRAKE" as well as have the icon. They missed this on my originally, since VWoA did not put it in their letter. They caught VW's ommission, since they have done more than one of these. California required a letter from DOT for me. DOT simply stamped the VW letter as approved for entry into the US. You might have to do these changes before you bring in the vehicle.

California also wanted a USEPA approval. EPA just accepted the VW letter, which stated that the Kombi met all US Emissions requirements -- including California's. You'll probably get the same if this is an '86 or later, since they were all the same, basically. EPA wrote a letter of acceptance for me.

Then I needed the dreaded California inspection. I failed to pass smog at idle initially, but some fiddling, and a new idle stabilizer fixed that.

Altogether this took about six months to get all the paperwork done. I'll try to get all the addresses, phone numbers, etc. for you later if you need them. Massachusetts may be more or less tough on this than California.

I had bought the vehicle before I left the US, and had already gotten a California registration on it (a temporary one for 30 days until they inspected serial numbers, etc.) This was probably what got me through customs without the DOT and EPA paperwork. Best thing is if the Canadian owners will drive it to you, and sell it in the US like maybe Niagra Falls. Then you will miss the inspection at the border, and can get it all inspected at your leisure.

malcolm