Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:08:53 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <HANRAN.INC@internetmci.com>
Subject:      Fwd: Fuel Tank Overflow Hoses//EXPANSION TANK LINES

-- [ From: Thomas D. Hanlon * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------

> Date: Friday, 10-Jan-97 10:23 AM > > From: KENYON FAIREY \ Internet: (kfairey@oit.umass.edu) > To: Vanagon \ Internet: (vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu) > > Subject: Fuel Tank Overflow Hoses > > The recent discussion on "gas mileage" prompted me to pose the folowing: > > Shortly after purchasing my '80 Westy in '88, I filled the gas tank and then > parked in a sloped parking lot in Northern Vt. When I came out there was gas > all over the pavement. Quite conserned as I was in the middle of nowhere on a > camping trip - I proceeded with caution and took the Westy directly to my > service shop upon returning homr (I am not set up to do my own repairs!). > > I was advised that the fuel tank overflow hoses and system had cracked and > needed to be replaced - I had two options: > - never fill the tank completely > - drop the tank and replace the hoses and fittings > As this was to be a long term relationship - I did the latter at approx $150

> By late August, the same gas leaking from the overflow hoses appeared! Dismayed > I took her in to the quality dealership I had begun to use (my old shop had > developed an attitude against Westy owners saying "most of them don't want to > pay what it costs to hae us do the job right - ie they're all cheap! I don't > like to deal with bad attitude - it lowers my level of trust!) My new service > manager delivered the same news as with my '80. I really couldn't believe it! > Was this a problem with Westies in general? He said that they had only seen a > few cases - and of course the fact that the Van had been driven so little > probably did have an effect. I waited till spring - just didn't fill the tank > completely - and had the same work done. Surprisingly the dealership charged > less in '96 than I had been charged from the smaller local shop back in '89! > > So - is this a problem that any of you have experienced or heard much about? If > so - how can it be avoided? As I am trying to buy yet another '91 Westy I would > prefer to avoid having to do this particular service again. > > Thankx > Kenyon > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- > Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor > Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource Management > Software Support Department of Forestry & > Office of Information Technologies Wildlife Management > - - - - - - - - - - - - - > A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU > University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 > Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203 >

------- FORWARD, End of original message ------- Kenyon,

The leaking system may be caused by a plastic pipe with a two-ported end on each end of the plastic pipe. The pipe arrangement connects to the gas tank and to the expansion tanks on either side of the underside of the vehicle. The "Y" ends are plastic, also, and they dry out and crack with age, I am told. The "Y" ends are pressure applied or laminated in some way to the plastic pipe. They may or may not come out of the ends of the pipe, according to how deterioriated the "Y" elements are. So you may have to buy the whole unit from VW for about $32.00, including grommets for the two ends each on the "Y" fittings. If you pull the pipe unit out and you are able to extricate one of the ends from the pipe, assuming that only one is broken, I have the pipe and one good "Y" which you may have if you let me know in a week or so. I am in Texas on my way to California where my Westy, , et a, is stored.

For the two "Y" fittings, and the other hoses under the vehicle, you'll need at least six or eight stainless steel hose clamps about the size which would fit around a half inch dowel or a thicker than usual ball point pen. They're standard stuff at the FLAPS near you. Another desirable element is the use of a pair of those curved-lip cutters to remove the OEM clips which are pressed on to the hoses and the "Y" fittings.

You do not have to remove the gas tank. However, you do have to remove the tray which holds up the spare tire and then finesse your way up into the extremely dirty undersides of the vehicle and on to he top of the gas tank while you are on your back, if you don't have access to a hoist or a lift. BRUSH, WIPE OR BLOW DIRT AND DEBRIS from the grommeted areas to avoid fouling the gas tank while you are forcing the grommeted "Y" fittings into the top of the gas tank. One sterling Listee, whose name I don't remember, suggested spit as a lubricant. I suggest that you employ a pair of strong hands, spit or a graphite lubricant. Mount the grommets to the "Y" fitting before you attempt to insert the "Y" fitting into the tank holes. You could drop the grommets into the tank, as I recall the procedure. Then coax the grommeted fittings into the appropriate orifices. Wear old clothes. Thin arms and strong hands help, too.

You can approach the "Y" fittings pipe unit through the wheel well on one side of the vehicle by feeling above the tire and inwards. Experiment by turning the steering all the way, one side or the other, to determine which of the expansion tanks you can reach by hand. Reach up there on to the top of the expansion tank on one or the other side of the vehicle. I can't remember which side. Follow the hoses to the "Y" fittings and muscle the fittings and the grommets out of and in to the holes on the top of the gas tank.

The Archives contain two or three versions of the "Y" saga. Bentley has an illustration of the gas tank arrangement. All will be revealed.

Best regards,

Tom Hanlon