Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:29:01 -0800
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Subject:      Re: * IS AN '86 GL SYNCRO A GOOD BUY?? *

Chris Stafford wrote: > > Hi, > > I am considering buying the following, any info within the next few days > (weekend) would be sincerely appreciated.. =) > > The Beast in Question: > > - 1986 Vanagon GL Syncro > - 143,000 Miles > - AC (option) > - Rear Wiper (option) > - Locking Rear Differential (option) > - Metallic Silver-Blue Paint (option) > - Straight body, no apparent damage, other than small scratches > - Cracked windshield > - Defective rear heater core (being replaced by current owner) > > * Asking price: $4000.00 > > * ANY SPECIFIC TESTS that I can perform myself to check the Heads, Viscous > Coupling, Driveshaft, etc? > > * I will be taking it to have mechanic(s) look at it- what should I have > them look for in a pre-purchase inspection that is SPECIFIC to this > vehicle?

Drive it until the engine is up to temperature. Park it over some newspaper spread under the rad all the way back to the engine. Take a break, have a coffee, wait overnight if possible. Come back and look for leak spots on the paper. Any head leak is NOT GOOD. Other coolant leaks are relatively easy to fix. Oil leaks are also fairly common, the valve guides are a common source. Also not a big problem.

> Viscous Couplings, Driveshaft, CV's, etc..

To test the Viscous Coupling, jack up the right side so that both front and rear wheels are clear of the ground. Put brakes off and out of gear and diff lock off. Now turn the front wheel by hand. The rear wheel should turn. If not, run and don't stop running. To test the CV's, drive forward and backward in a hard right turn and again in a hard left turn. You will feel and hear the front tire crunching but you should not hear CV popping.

> > * Any suggestions for any EXCELLENT (non-dealer or dealer) mechanics in > the Portland, Oregon area? > > * Could someone explain to me the merits/de-merits of this year and model > of Syncro Vanagon?

De-merits! .... shame on you!

> > * I'd like to correspond with other owners of same, if possible.. Swap > heart-felt stories of joy, or veritable tales o' horr-ah, what have you.. > > * Please respond via e-mail and/or here..

Visit the syncro home page maintained by Tom Forhan at http://pwp.usa.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swhome.htm

Larry Johnson '86 Syncro Westy